[Mailman-Users] Is there an easy way to discard all messages waiting to be reviewed

Cyndi Norwitz cyndi at tikvah.com
Thu Jan 3 10:00:06 CET 2008

   From: "Vinita Aggarwal" <vinita.aggarwal at un.org.in>
   Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 14:07:09 +0530

   I have a list where non members can post but their messages are
   moderated, I ave to deal with a lot of spam. After sometime, just a
   small percentage of them will be good posts.

I'm in the same boat.  All of my members are moderated at first (including
all new subscribers) and there are a handful that will need moderation
forever.  I've found that taking the time to click on the auto-discard for
the sender address of the spammers is making a big difference.

I also go into Privacy Options: Sender Filters to the
discard_these_nonmembers area.  You can set it up to discard posts from
certain domain names.  Unfortunately, you have to hunt for the formula
because it's not a general wildcard.  I had to spent some time in the FAQ
to get this info.

For example, add this line to discard any message from bipolartom.com (a
big source of my list mail spam):

   ^[^@]+@(.*\.)?bipolartom\.com$

I still can not figure out how to discard certain usernames (or,
preferably, partial user names).  I get a lot of psychologyschool and
cookingschool @ various domains.

I was surprised to find that this little bit of extra work means that like
3/4 of my spam is being automatically discarded.  I was also very happy to
find out that the onslaught of spam I expected didn't come (most of the
spammers used email addresses from my previous server that didn't
transfer).

   Is there an easy way to discard all messages waiting to be reviewed?

Yes.  The default setting is defer.  Once you've dealt with any real posts,
go ahead and click on "discard all posts marked defer" (or something to
that effect).

Cyndi