[Mailman-Users] Specify different SMTP server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 26 19:56:11 CET 2008

Andrew Hodgson wrote:

>Reading previous emails seem to suggest I can make Mailman output to a
>different SMTP server by changing the options in the configuration
>files.  I would quite like to do this, as currently Mailman is on a
>server which doesn't do much email, and the Exim on that machine outputs
>to the destination SMTP server in any case.

You can set SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT in mm_cfg.py to use any server/port
that will relay your mail.

>My only question is: Is this a common deployment, and what happens if
>the destination SMTP server is down?

I don't know how common it is. One use is to set Mailman to use a port
other than 25 but still on localhost so the MTA can treat Mailman's
mail differently.

If the server, whether remote or local, is down, Mailman will see an
error when trying to connect. This will be logged in Mailman's
smtp-failure log, probably as a 'low level smtp error', and the
delivery will be retried at 15 minute intervals until it either
succeeds or DELIVERY_RETRY_PERIOD (default 5 days) elapses.

Note that Defaults.py also contains a setting for DELIVERY_RETRY_WAIT,
but this is not used. The 15 minutes is hard coded in RetryRunner.py.