[Mailman-Users] get_content_type() takes exactly 1 argument (2given)

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Feb 23 05:14:20 CET 2008

On 2/22/08, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>>  Can we at least use a hashed mail directory solution that doesn't
>>  have massive scalability problems?
>
>  For the digests it probably doesn't matter because they'll never get
>  that big.  I'm still planning on making this change for the queue
>  directories (though I haven't yet).

I thought we were talking about replacing the 7th edition mbox file
format for the raw or the similar mbox-like format for the cooked
archives.  Using some sort of a hashed directory structure would
allow a lot more flexibility in terms of going in and deleting or
editing messages in the archive, along with many other benefits it
might bring.

However, if you imagine python-list with hundreds of thousands of
messages in the archive, there's just no way that could possibly
scale with Maildir, Maildir+, or any other solution that does not
enforce a good hashed directory scheme that is kept invisible to the
higher-level applications.