[Mailman-Users] Newbie spam filter (regex) question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 21 18:54:02 CET 2008

Jason LaMar wrote:

>OK, forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to add a Spam Filter rule that
>allows postings from a specific e-mail address -- as an exception to our
>normal filtering rules.
>
>It hasn't worked thus far, so what would be the proper (best) 'Spam Filter
>Regexp' entry to accept any messages from this example address:
>
>some.person.name at gmail.com
>
>I know this should be easy and that I'm just missing something silly, so any
>quick help would be appreciated.

Are you just trying to avoid trapping mail from
some.person.name at gmail.com in other header_filter_rules? You can do
that, but first, here are some things you can't do with
header_filter_rules.

You can't bypass holds for bounce_matching_headers.

You can't bypass membership and moderation checks.

You can't bypass other holds such as message too big, etc.

This is because the Accept action on a header_filter_rules rule only
means pass the header_filter_rules tests. It doesn't mean
unconditionally accept the message.

So assuming that what you want is to bypass the other
header_filter_rules, you need to "add new item" before the current
rule 1 so the new rule becomes #1. Then the new rule 1 regexp should be

  ^from:.*(\s|<)some\.person\.name at gmail\.com(\s|>|$)

and the action Accept.