[Mailman-Users] Mailman postings deferred by Yahoo

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Feb 21 06:39:35 CET 2008

On 2/20/08, Brian Carpenter wrote:

>  The really bad situation is when an e-mail forwarder that is setup on my
>  server that forwards both legitimate mail and spam (when it makes it through
>  my anti-spam system) to their AOL or Yahoo account and the user then clicks
>  that wicked "spam" button and inadvertently reports my server as a source of
>  spam. It's a tragic case of mistaken identity and none of the major e-mail
>  providers are willing to come up with a system that doesn't target the
>  middle man.

Yup.  I had one of these today.  This is not the first time we've had
this problem with this particular account, and in my reply to the AOL
postmaster this time I told them that future complaints of this sort
may result in that users account getting terminated.  I made sure to
send copies to both our internal address and their AOL account.

I won't have our mail servers reputation dirtied by morons who can't
tell the difference between the "Delete" button and the "Report as
spam" button.  If they want to keep that mail.utexas.edu account and
have it forward their mail somewhere outside of our system, then they
had damn well better be careful with that "Report as spam" button.