[Mailman-Users] Mailman postings deferred by Yahoo

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Feb 21 06:33:08 CET 2008

On 2/21/08, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  > It's just yahoo that behaves like a black sheep in this game.
>
>  But that's simply not true.  AOL has a deservedly bad reputation, as
>  does Hotmail.  I've had problems with a number of universities, as
>  well (deserved, in a sense, but it was damn hard to get off the ban
>  list once we got on).

Actually, fighting spam is one area where AOL has historically done
pretty well.  I know that it was the biggest part of my job when I
was the Sr. Internet Mail System Administrator there, and I took my
job very seriously.  We did a lot of things to prevent our customers
from spamming, and we did a lot of things to try to protect them from
getting spam.  We also set up the feedback loop mechanism (and I
think AOL was the first site to create such a thing), so that admins
at other sites around the world could get reports about what was
happening through their mail servers.

Where AOL has fallen down is by making the "Report as Spam" button
far too easy to hit, and doesn't require any kind of confirmation or
anything.

And they don't give any negative feedback to their users when they
just hit the "Report as Spam" button when they are actually getting
mail that they really did ask for, but they're just being stupid.