[Mailman-Users] Mailman postings deferred by Yahoo

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Feb 21 02:44:00 CET 2008

Mark Sapiro writes:

 > Then I read further and found "To participate in the program,
 > senders must sign their outbound emails with DomainKeys (DKIM is
 > not currently supported)."
 >
 > This is the second time in recent weeks that some large mail service
 > has used it's 600 lb. gorilla status to try to coerce me into
 > something, and I don't like it.

C'mon, Mark, you know that the only problem here is that there's no
accepted standard; they have to authenticate "you" somehow (do you
really want me to be able to spoof you and get information about your
mail to Yahoo customers?), and the right "you" to authenticate is the
apparent source of allegedly objectionable mail.  So it's going to be
SPF or DomainKeys or something like that.

But you've identified the problem correctly (in more ways than one).
600lb gorillas don't move very fast most of the time, but once they do
get in motion they're terrifying.

Sorry to say, I don't think there's much chance the gorillas are going
to slim down, either.  There are too many advantages to being big in
this industry.