[Mailman-Users] mailmain starting twice

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 18 21:24:39 CET 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>I am using mailman 2.1.9 on a FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE. My rc.conf only has
>one mailman entry defined:
>
>$ cat /etc/rc.conf |grep -c mailman
>1
>
>$ cat /etc/rc.conf |grep mailman
>mailman_enable="YES"
>
>However, when I restart the system, there are 16 qrunners. When I do
>/usr/local/mailman/bin/mailmanctl stop it shuts down 8 qrunners,
>leaving the others 8 running. When I repeat the procedure, it asks me
>that perhaps the qrunners aren't running (no pid) but greping ps ax
>shows 8 qrunners active. In the end I had to kill the master qrunner
>to make the other qrunners disappear. Then I started mailman manually
>and it worked as expcted (showing 8 qrunners in process list).

Mailman has been started twice. At least the second start included the
'-s' option to remove 'stale' locks as in

  bin/mailmanctl -s start

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.068.htp>
for some more information on this.

What happens is somehow your startup script is starting Mailman twice
or being run twice. Exactly why is a FreeBSD question that I can't
answer, but because of the '-s' option, the second start removes the
locks that are intended to prevent this and overwrites the previous
master's pid with its own. Thus, when you issue the mailmanctl stop,
you only stop the second start and the first is still running.

You could edit the Mailman start script and remove the '-s' option, and
maybe the error that will then result from the second start attempt
will help you find why it happens.