[Mailman-Users] bug in Mailman 2.1.4

Myron Kowalski myron at cs.moravian.edu
Wed Feb 13 19:16:38 CET 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Myron Kowalski wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Myron Kowalski wrote:

>>> The CGI process is being denied sufficient memory for Python to load
>>> the date from lists/<listname>/request.db.
>>>
>>> My best guess is this file is huge and there are many held messages
>>> for
>>> this list.
>>>
>>> Look in Mailman's data/ directory for files named heldmsg-
>>> <listname>-
>>> *.
>>> If there are lots, delete some of the oldest ones with
>>>
>>> bin/delete data/heldmsg...
>>>
>>> Use bin/delete instead of just rm so that they will also be removed
>>> from request.db.
>>>
>>> If you can't get request.db down to a manageable size in this way,
>>> you
>>> may just have to rm it and start over, but this will lose all
>>> current
>>> requests from the admindb interface.
>>>

>> There was only one message
>> -rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman     2295 Feb 12 17:39 heldmsg-net-
>> avengers-3.pck
>>
>> and the request.db was rather small.
>> -rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman      119 Oct 10 12:54 request.db
>>
>> I decided to check all the lists. There were about a dozen heldmsg
>> files and all the lists request.db
>> are small in size. I did notice that 10 of the lists request.db file
>> was not owned by mailman. I'll change the
>> owner back to mailman and get rid of all the heldmsg. Nobody else has
>> reported any problems, so maybe
>> it'll go away.
>>

> I have no bin/delete. I'm guessing you meant bin/discard.

I got rid of all the heldmsg w/o any problems, until I got to the one
in question.
Discarding that heldmsg returned this error.

mailman:~/data% ../bin/discard heldmsg-net-avengers-3.pck
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "../bin/discard", line 120, in ?
     main()
   File "../bin/discard", line 110, in main
     mlist.HandleRequest(id, mm_cfg.DISCARD, '', False, False, '')
   File "/users/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 180, in
HandleRequest