[Mailman-Users] bug in Mailman 2.1.4

Myron Kowalski myron at cs.moravian.edu
Wed Feb 13 18:45:02 CET 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:03 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Myron Kowalski wrote:
>
>> One of my users sent me this message that he got when he tried to
>> approve a message to
>> his list. As far as I can tell, all my other lists, including his,
>> are
>> working well. Any help on
>> what I should be looking for?
>>

>> Bug in Mailman version 2.1.4
>>
>> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>>
>> If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a
>> copy
>> of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of
>> what
>> happened. Thanks!
>> Traceback:
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "/users/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
>>   main()
>> File "/users/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py", line 166, in main
>>   if not mlist.NumRequestsPending():
>> File "/users/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 147, in
>> NumRequestsPending
>>   self.__opendb()
>> File "/users/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 82, in __opendb
>>   self.__db = marshal.load(fp)
>> MemoryError
>

> The CGI process is being denied sufficient memory for Python to load
> the date from lists/<listname>/request.db.
>
> My best guess is this file is huge and there are many held messages
> for
> this list.
>
> Look in Mailman's data/ directory for files named heldmsg-<listname>-
> *.
> If there are lots, delete some of the oldest ones with
>
>  bin/delete data/heldmsg...
>
> Use bin/delete instead of just rm so that they will also be removed
> from request.db.
>
> If you can't get request.db down to a manageable size in this way, you
> may just have to rm it and start over, but this will lose all current
> requests from the admindb interface.

There was only one message
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman     2295 Feb 12 17:39 heldmsg-net-
avengers-3.pck

and the request.db was rather small.
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman      119 Oct 10 12:54 request.db

I decided to check all the lists. There were about a dozen heldmsg
files and all the lists request.db
are small in size. I did notice that 10 of the lists request.db file
was not owned by mailman. I'll change the
owner back to mailman and get rid of all the heldmsg. Nobody else has
reported any problems, so maybe
it'll go away.