[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Groupwise

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Feb 12 05:30:21 CET 2008

On 2/11/08, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

>  If GW can deliver via SMTP, but not pipes, adding another MTA to the
>  path should get around this  (GW -> Postfix via SMTP, psotfix uses a pipe to
>  send into mailman.) That was was initial thought behind the postfix
>  suggestion.  I don't consider it exactly an elegent solution, but
>  it should work.

Disclaimer: All of what is about to follow is based on my past
experience and my current understanding.  However, I don't have any
direct hands-on experience with the software in question.

GroupWise is a PC-based LAN e-mail package, so you're unlikely to get
postfix also running on that same box, unless you're using virtual
machine technology to run multiple different server OSes on the same
physical box.  It's not a traditional MTA, it's more of a gateway to
a proprietary LAN e-mail package, and isn't going to handle well the
inbound aliases issue for Mailman -- much like using Exchange as your
MTA.