[Mailman-Users] OT: Barracuda Reputation

Jason LaMar jrlamar at owu.edu
Wed Feb 6 19:40:00 CET 2008

Karl,

Speaking on behalf of an organization that has long been using Barracuda
spam filtering appliances, I can tell you that the company's "reputation"
and "intent analysis" services leave much to be desired. Unlike the CBL or
Spamcop, Barracuda has never seemed willing to share the algorithms or
heuristics used to flag a domain/URL/whatever as "bad." This is
understandable in one sense, considering this is most likely proprietary
stuff, but it also has caused much operational frustration.

After being burned several times by these shady "reputation" and "intent
analysis" rules, I've just given up and gone to manual, wholesale
whitelisting of sender addresses and embedded message (body) URLs when
necessary. It seems to be the only way to get around Barracuda's default and
sometimes inexplicable characteristics.

As you can probably tell, I've grown weary and cynical of Barracuda's
issues, and we're transitioning to other spam filtering solutions. I've
heard great reviews of it in other organizations -- but it's just not
working for us anymore.

Jason

Jason LaMar
Director of Information Services
Ohio Wesleyan University | Delaware, OH 43015
IP Tel: 740-368-3131 | AIM/Yahoo IM: jasonrlamar
Fax: 740-368-3272 | Web: http://www.owu.edu/