[Mailman-Users] Turning off confirmation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 6 03:45:48 CET 2008

Robert Everson wrote:

>I'm running a mail list that is used for emergency notification, and
>many people subscribe using their cellphones.  Because of this,
>sending a confirmation email isn't really the easiest way for the
>users to subscribe.  Also, I don't really think that approving
>everyone would be feasible for me.  Is there a way to turn off the
>confirmation/approval process for new subscribers?

It is not recommended, but if you want to do it, and if you have
sufficient access to the Mailman server, you can put

ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = Yes

in mm_cfg.py, and then you will be offered None as one of the choices
for subscribe_policy.

Keep in mind that in addition to making things easier for your PDA
subscribers, this will also allow your worst enemy to subscribe
multiple people to your list and when these people start receiving
messages from the list and replying to the list with "take me off this
list" and complaining to their ISPs that you are a source of spam, you
will ultimately have to close the list.