[Mailman-Users] Mailman Cron question

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Feb 4 10:14:01 CET 2008

Marvin Raab writes:

 > I've setup ver. 2.1.9 on Fedora 8. I used yum to install (can't find
 > 'configure' but that's not really my question) and configured it using the
 > docs on the website including the cron section:

yum installations do not conform to the docs on the website.  That's
the whole point of yum, really: doing things Fedora's way, rather than
that of the upstream.  This is really a Fedora question, therefore.

I think this was actually posted most recently about a week ago.  The
problem most likely is that the Mailman install assumes that the
Mailman jobs will be run from the root crontab, which has a different
format from user crontabs.  Specifically, the argument "mailman" is
intended to be a user to su to in a root crontab, while in a user
crontab that field is not present.  yum probably installs it as a user
crontab.

If you just delete the field "mailman" from each command, it will
probably start working.  Maybe.