[Mailman-Users] I desperate need of help

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Feb 2 19:52:08 CET 2008

Thomas J Casey wrote:

>1.	when a person submits an email for distribution and received by the
>recipients, the From: field displays: test152-bounces at troop152.org; on
>behalf of; Thomas J Casey [jacsdad at nc.rr.com]
><test152-bounces at troop152.org>.  We would like to remove the
>test152-bounces at troop152.org; on behalf of; and the
>test152-bounces at troop152.org at the end.
>
>Can this be setup and if possible how can I set it up.

This is being done by the MUA (email client) that is reading the mail.
People who use other than MS Outlook to read this mail do not see
this. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq02.003.htp>.

>2.	when a person replies to the email, it attempts to reply to the
>originator only (example: Thomas J Casey [jacsdad at nc.rr.com] and not to the
>distribution list of test152 at troop152.org.
>
>Can this be setup and if possible how can I set it up.

Reply-all should work.  Also, on the list's General Options page, you
can set reply_goes_to_list to 'This list'. Also, see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.048.htp>.

>3.	I need to able to define who is authorized to submit email for
>redistribution.  I was told by Support that the individuals email must be
>added to the General Section of Mailman in the List Moderator section.

This is not true. Whether or not an address is listed as an owner or
moderator has absolutely nothing to do with how their posts are
handled.

I thing you are confusing the 'moderator' list with the individual
user's 'moderated' flag (the 'mod' checkbox on the admin Membership
list).

>This
>causing havoc with the 87 individuals who are currently contained within the
>List Moderator section.  They receive ever notice when an individual is
>added, removed, moderator request(s) waiting, failure notices and the like.

They should not be there.

>Can Mailman be setup that only those individuals defied in the General
>Section of Mailman in the List Administrator section be notified and if
>possible how can I set it up.

People who should receive notices should have their addresses listed as
owner or moderator. No other addresses should be listed as owner or
moderator. These addresses may or may not be list members. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.060.htp>.

>4.	when a person attempts to send an email to a mailing list, there
>email is held until I attend to it.
>

>Once authorized in #3, can the process of submission and distribution be
>automatic?

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>.
This may not describe your situation exactly, but it will give you an
idea of the settings involved.

I think what you want is to set Privacy options...->Sender
filters->default_member_moderation to Yes so that new members are
moderated by default, and set the other settings on that page per your
needs.

Then on the admin Membership List under "Additional Member Tasks", set
every current member's moderation bit 'On', and then manually uncheck
the 'mod' box for those members allowed to post.

>I have been in contact with Support at Host Monster multiple times, and they
>have been no help whatsoever.  I've weeded through the instruction on
>Mailman at: http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html but am more
>confused then ever.

Have you looked at <http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/admins.html>?
Unfortunately, the two manuals linked from there are inadequate. One
is for a very old version and the other is incomplete, but they may be
of help. Also, see the FAQ at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>.

You can always come back here with specific questions.