[Mailman-Users] I desperate need of help

Thomas J Casey jacsdad at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 2 19:20:38 CET 2008

This may  be difficult for some to read, and I can forward you a pdf
version.

In addition to the website ( <http://www.troop152.org/> www.troop152.org) I
support the email distribution process.  I am having a lot of setup
tribulations and need some direction.

I am attempting to setup Mailman for 22 different distribution lists, with
unique individuals contained with them. We need to be able to: (1) from a
persons private email account, send an email to a distribution list on the
Server where our website is housed. (2) when received, verify if the
individual is authorized to submit email, and if not, notify the list owner
of the attempt without forwarding it. (3) if the person is authorized,
distribute/forward the email to the members of the distribution list.

This has been done and works great, however we are encountering the
following:

1.	when a person submits an email for distribution and received by the
recipients, the From: field displays: test152-bounces at troop152.org; on
behalf of; Thomas J Casey [jacsdad at nc.rr.com]
<test152-bounces at troop152.org>.  We would like to remove the
test152-bounces at troop152.org; on behalf of; and the
test152-bounces at troop152.org at the end.

Can this be setup and if possible how can I set it up.

2.	when a person replies to the email, it attempts to reply to the
originator only (example: Thomas J Casey [jacsdad at nc.rr.com] and not to the
distribution list of test152 at troop152.org.

Can this be setup and if possible how can I set it up.

3.	I need to able to define who is authorized to submit email for
redistribution.  I was told by Support that the individuals email must be
added to the General Section of Mailman in the List Moderator section.  This
causing havoc with the 87 individuals who are currently contained within the
List Moderator section.  They receive ever notice when an individual is
added, removed, moderator request(s) waiting, failure notices and the like.

Can Mailman be setup that only those individuals defied in the General
Section of Mailman in the List Administrator section be notified and if
possible how can I set it up.

4.	when a person attempts to send an email to a mailing list, there
email is held until I attend to it.

Once authorized in #3, can the process of submission and distribution be
automatic?

I have been in contact with Support at Host Monster multiple times, and they
have been no help whatsoever.  I've weeded through the instruction on
Mailman at: http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html but am more
confused then ever.

As you can imagine, I'm getting a lot of heat to rectify these problems PDQ.
This is a Boy Scout Troop and I volunteer my services but these problems are
causing us more problems then Mailman is worth to us.

If you have any suggestions, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks ahead of time. tj casey

Jacsdad aka Thomas J Casey

Upon his retirement, a former NASCAR Winston Cup Champion was quoted: "the
Older I get... the Better I was"