[Mailman-Users] Digests for bounces and mail list stats?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Feb 2 17:04:57 CET 2008

Dan Brown wrote:

>On an announcement list recently moved from LetterRip to mailman with nearly
>8000 subscribers the first announcement from the new server caused 1337
>mailman "Bounce action notification" messages confirming either a suspension
>from the mailing list or a removal due to having a bounce score too high.
>Is there a way to digest these into either a specific number of bounces or a
>timeframe so maybe at most for that many bounces I get perhaps 14
>notifications instead?

No, there is not, but you could turn off the notifications and extract
some information from Mailman's bounce log instead.

OTOH, this would seem to be a unique situation caused by importing a
list of 8000 addresses, over 16% of which were invalid. I suspect on
lists with a less radical membership change, any digest of bounce
notifications would contain only one or two notices.

>The Daily Statistics which are being dearly missed when the lists are moved
>over (I hadn't realized they were so vital frankly) listed the number of
>posts, as well as the number of subscribes and unsubscribes.  Is there any
>(patch/plugin/extension) which is capable of creating these.

Check out Brad Knowles' mmdsr (Mailman daily status report). This is in
the contrib/ directory of the Mailman distribution and also at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1123383&group_id=103&atid=300103>.
The version shipped with Mailman 2.1.9 is not the latest, but the
differences are minor. The latest version is at the link above and
will be in 2.1.10b2.

mmdsr gives good post information by hour, list and sender, and lots of
other good information all obtained from Mailman's log files. There is
no summary of subscribes and unsubscribes, but it would be easy to add
as it is all in Mailman's subscribe log.