[Mailman-Users] yet another message filtering question

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Wed Dec 31 21:56:15 CET 2008

On 12/31/08 11:34, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> You can filter based on file name extension, but that filter only
> affects MIME parts that have a filename or name parameter in the
> be filtered based on extension.

I don't know of any email client that will send an attached file with
out the "name" parameter to the Content-Type: header.  So, with this in
mind, it should be possible to deduce that any MIME section that is not
text/plain or text/html (or their multipart/alternative encapsulation)
that does not have a "name" parameter is very likely embedded content
and as such probably ok to remove.

> The concept of attachment is not well defined in MIME. There is a
> but Mailman doesn't look at it.

I think the word "attachment" needs to be better defined here.  Are you
referring to what an email author ""attaches to a message, or any thing
else that is embed with in the message.  I think the actual attachment
(by the message author) will always have a Content-Disposition of
attachment.  It should only be embedded content that differs.  Though, I
know that some MUAs will embed pictures rather than attaching them.

Grant. . . .