[Mailman-Users] help files

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Wed Dec 31 17:16:45 CET 2008

On 12/31/08 10:12, Brad Knowles wrote:
> One trick here is exactly where we put our documentation on this matter.
>  If we do it within the wiki, then most anyone should be able to update
> it on demand, although I'm not sure what additional load this might
> create on the wiki.  We might also want to think twice about such a
> public page being easily editable by anyone that would be used so widely
> within a program like Mailman.

I'm betting that the wiki can't do a 302 redirect, which would be
proper.  I'm sure that something could be done to do an HTML "refresh"
or a JavaScript "document.location", but neither of those are as nice as
an HTTP 302 redirect.  The 302 redirect operates at a much lower layer
and is much easier on systems because clients don't have to process the
downloaded page.  It uses less bandwidth too.

> If we try to do this on the main list.org site itself, I believe that
> Barry is the only one with the account and permissions to make these
> kinds of changes, in part because the site is actually owned by someone
> else (maybe John Viega, one of the original authors of Mailman?).

*nod*

I got to thinking.  I chose Apache / PHP because that's what I know
best.  But there is no reason (that I know of) that would prevent the
same thing from being written in Python, or any other dynamic language
for that matter.

Grant. . . .