[Mailman-Users] help files

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Tue Dec 30 03:29:37 CET 2008

On 12/29/2008 07:29 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> Part of the problem is that the people who maintain the official
> python.org documentation for this information feel that Mailman should
> not be referencing their documentation, instead we should have our own
> internal version of the same information.

Arguably, that is probably the better thing to do.  Or at least point to
a page that says "Go <here> to find the information that you are
wanting..." and have the "<here>" be more easily update able while still
providing a static path that will work across multiple Maiman releases.

> So, they don't give a flying flip about what happens to the Mailman
> community when they change their documentation or their URLs.

I'm sure that it's not only Mailman that has been hurt by the changed
URLs.  Besides, I'd be very tempted to set up 302, or better 301,
redirects from the old URLs to the new URLs.  That way if /anyone/ does
accidentally enter the old URL they are redirected to where they should
be.  Optionally for pages that merged or split, they could put a
disambiguating page (like Wikipedia) allowing people to choose where
they want to go.

Grant. . . .