[Mailman-Users] private contra public archives

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 25 20:28:20 CET 2008

Lesve wrote:

>I have had my mailman archive public and all works out OK
>Even attachment works OK. (HTTP)
>
>Now I have set the archive to private and
>suddenly it was impossible to read attachment from the archive (HTTP)

I'm not sure what your issue is, but when archives are private, URLs
like http://www.example.com/pipermail/LIST/... will no longer work.
The archives are accessed via URLs like
http://www.example.com/mailman/private/LIST/... and log in with your
subscribed email address and password or with the list admin or
moderator password is required.

If you are looking at a 'pipermail' URL in an old message in the
archive, it will no longer work. You will need to rebuild the archive
with bin/arch --wipe in order to "fix" the URLs to scrubbed
attachments.

Note however that if the attachments were scrubbed from the individual
messages because the list's scrub_nondigest is set to yes, there's
nothing you can do about these URLs other than manually editing them.