[Mailman-Users] The economics of spam

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Dec 24 08:33:02 CET 2008

on 12/23/08 2:14 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull said:

> And the primary maintainer of a piece of software which AFAIK
> continues to be a source of backscatter might want to be a little
> careful about suggesting that vendors be billed ....

We give the list owners and site administrator the option of choosing
how to configure their lists.  So, the choice of who to send the bill to
would end there.

And to really solve the backscatter issue in this case would require
that we integrate tightly enough into the MTA that the processing could
be done while the sender is held open.  The options in that space are
mostly specific to a given MTA, although postfix also supports the
sendmail milter interface in addition to the preferred policyd method.

If you wanted to be of service to the community, you could always write
a milter in Python that would go through all the same checks that
Mailman would do and indicate back to the MTA whether or not the message
would be accepted.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out