[Mailman-Users] Posts from listowner address issue

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Dec 20 21:56:16 CET 2008

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> mailmanctl stop should have stopped the last instance started, but yes,
> it isn't going to stop everything in this situation.

Would a killall type of functionality be contraindicated in mailmanctl
stop?

> >The files referenced were nowhere to be found, so picking them apart is a
> >non starter.  Looks like a race condition: Does mailman not check to see
> >if it's already running?
>
> It does unless it is forced not to. The issue is that the check is via
> lock files and init scripts tend to force override of the checks on
> the theory that any lock files are residue from a prior boot.

We do not use -s on the init script.

> >> Is delivery enabled for the owner's subscribed address on list 1?
> >Also mentioned in the first post: yes.
>
> Actually, I don't see it in the first post at
> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-December/064447.html>.
> In your second post at
> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-December/064449.html>,
> I see

My mistake - you are correct, 2nd post.

>   I checked that I was still subbed and not being caught in a
>   discard file.
>
> Perhaps "not being caught in a discard file" means to you that
> Mailman's delivery is enabled, but it doesn't to me.

I guess the compund "checked that I was still subbed [implicitly ==
checked for nomail, etc]" and "not being caught in a discard file"
does equal delivery enabled when I had mentioned I was the only one not
receiving posts [ie, delivery is globally enabled if Im the only one not
getting them, and locally enabled as I am subbed and not blocked or
discarded]".

Clearly, the amount of verbiage that caveat required illustrates the
density of my assumption <looks at floor... kicks dirt humbly...>

> > Actually, another possibility is that the owner-member of list one is
> receiving digests.

No.  Went there, looked at it.

> >This was a really odd event.  I'm pretty surprised to find 5 copies
> >happily beating each other up without checking.  Could this be a build
> >issue (FreeBSD - I know there are reported "difficulties" here)< or does
> >MM not check?
>

> Are you saying that fixing the multiple qrunner/Mailman instance issue
> solved the missing mail problem? I'd be very surprised if that were
> the case.

Yes.  It appears to have completely resolved it.

> If the problem still exists, I think you need to check logs to find out
> what's happening.
>
> bin/list_members --regular --nomail=enabled ccm-l | wc -l

this returned the correct # of subscribers +/-

> will tell you to how many recipients your test posts should be sent.
>
> Also, you might do
>
> bin/list_members --regular --nomail=enabled ccm-l | grep -i missing_adr

Returns a null

> just to be sure.
>
> Then check Mailman's smtp log for an entry like
>
> Dec 20 08:39:58 2008 (30746) <message-id> smtp to ccm-l for nnn recips,
> completed in t.ttt seconds

<system brought up from maintenance>

Dec 20 05:23:34 2008 (1368) <mailman.0.1229772212.558.ccm-l at ccm-l.org>
smtp to ccm-l for 1 recips, completed in 0.611 seconds
Dec 20 06:35:59 2008 (1368) <49550272967245C1A49355A8953D0437 at PANDESK>
smtp to med-jokes for 157 recips, completed in 23.833 seconds

<snip>

<somewhere in here is where I hand killed all the processes and restarted
mailman>

smtp to med-events for 103 recips, completed in 14.170 seconds
Dec 20 12:11:05 2008 (5688) <c39.49b55b86.367d8d7a at aol.com> smtp to
med-jokes for 157 recips, completed in 11.838 seconds
Dec 20 12:11:28 2008 (5688)
<68fd2c7c0812200550q32808396vf875b6ec66f9c02 at mail.gmail.com> smtp to
med-jokes for 156 recips, completed in 22.845 seconds

157==correct, but one is unreachable right now due to cable cut.

Dec 20 12:11:30 2008 (5688)
<mailman.0.1229796653.5686.med-jokes at ccm-l.org> smtp to med-jokes for 1
recips, completed in 1.341 seconds
Dec 20 12:11:31 2008 (5688)
<mailman.0.1229796662.6005.med-jokes at ccm-l.org> smtp to med-jokes for 1
recips, completed in 1.532 seconds
Dec 20 12:11:33 2008 (5688)
<mailman.0.1229796681.6055.med-jokes at ccm-l.org> smtp to med-jokes for 1
recips, completed in 1.618 seconds
Dec 20 12:12:03 2008 (5688)
<mailman.0.1229796721.6065.med-jokes at ccm-l.org> smtp to med-jokes for 1
recips, completed in 0.603 seconds
Dec 20 12:12:04 2008 (5688)
<mailman.1.1229796721.6065.med-jokes at ccm-l.org> smtp to med-jokes for 1
recips, completed in 0.551 seconds

< note that there are zero entries for CCM-L up to this point, despite
archives to the contrary, and replies which show distribution to users
[but not to poor old me :-(]  >

Dec 20 12:13:07 2008 (5688)
<Pine.LNX.4.64.0812201209360.11196 at mx1.mfn.org> smtp to ccm-l for 668
recips, completed in 45.689 seconds

668==correct

Dec 20 12:13:36 2008 (5688)
<Pine.LNX.4.64.0812201209360.11196 at mx1.mfn.org> smtp to gasnet for 266
recips, completed in 28.416 seconds

266==correct

Dec 20 12:13:56 2008 (5688)
<Pine.LNX.4.64.0812201209360.11196 at mx1.mfn.org> smtp to med-jokes for 158
recips, completed in 19.564 seconds
Dec 20 12:14:07 2008 (5688)
<Pine.LNX.4.64.0812201209360.11196 at mx1.mfn.org> smtp to med-events for 103
recips, completed in 11.031 seconds
Dec 20 12:15:29 2008 (5688)
<mailman.0.1229796927.5684.med-jokes at ccm-l.org> smtp to med-jokes for 1
recips, completed in 0.446 seconds
Dec 20 12:21:38 2008 (5688) <mailman.1.1229797296.5686.ccm-l at ccm-l.org>
smtp to ccm-l for 1 recips, completed in 0.509 seconds
Dec 20 12:21:38 2008 (5688) <mailman.3.1229797296.5686.ccm-l at ccm-l.org>
smtp to ccm-l for 1 recips, completed in 0.463 seconds
Dec 20 12:21:40 2008 (5688) <mailman.3.1229797296.5686.ccm-l at ccm-l.org>
smtp to ccm-l for 1 recips, completed in 0.590 seconds
Dec 20 12:26:13 2008 (5688) <682DCAEA23254A23B17EA3B309C6BBA6 at GJRnx7400>
smtp to med-events for 103 recips, completed in 8.432 seconds
Dec 20 12:26:24 2008 (5688) <682DCAEA23254A23B17EA3B309C6BBA6 at GJRnx7400>
smtp to med-events for 103 recips, completed in 10.948 seconds
Dec 20 12:31:27 2008 (5688)
<Pine.LNX.4.64.0812201228361.11196 at mx1.mfn.org> smtp to med-events for 103
recips, completed in 7.992 seconds
Dec 20 12:44:17 2008 (5688) <173C96EE372441569D7E1B7EB465AD1C at GJRnx7400>
smtp to med-events for 103 recips, completed in 7.706 seconds
Dec 20 12:45:49 2008 (5688) <6DB8B453DC7A4B9C9FCCC186C9FEA514 at GJRnx7400>
smtp to med-jokes for 158 recips, completed in 20.098 seconds
Dec 20 12:53:32 2008 (5688) <01c962dc$9f32bf00$60615051 at mailman-owner>
smtp to mailman for 1 recips, completed in 0.790 seconds
Dec 20 12:54:52 2008 (5688)
<Pine.LNX.4.64.0812201251000.11196 at mx1.mfn.org> smtp to ccm-l for 668
recips, completed in 39.097 seconds

Etc.  all seems pretty normal right now.

> have to look at the MTA log to see what happened to the missing
> recipient(s).

I did that (but did not mention it, as...), but it never made it to the
MTA for my address.

WTH?  I can think of no possible way for just one address of no special
significance other that it is also listowner to archive as if delivered,
but never to make it to the MTA or even to be logged by mailman...
 --
Yours,
J.A. Terranson

"Never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public
plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to
the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing news, always
be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by
predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty."

Joseph Pulitzer
1907 Speech