[Mailman-Users] Posts from listowner address issue

Lindsay Haisley fmouse-mailman at fmp.com
Sat Dec 20 19:28:17 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 12:06 -0600, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2008-12-20 at 11:30 -0600, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> > > listowner address sends a "Maintenance Over" message to a bunch of
> > > machines/lists.
> >
> > It's not coming from Mailman.  Are your list/list-owner addresses
> > possibly referenced in a boot script?
>
> No.

I tend to use grep like a local google lookup, and find a lot of
problems this way.  If "Maintenance Over" is a phrase in the message,
grep -R for it in /etc, /usr/sbin, other likely places (and go have a
cup of coffee while you're waiting!)  Locating the text file or program
from which something originates generally helps.

> > > On one machine with 4 lists, owneraddress posting shows up in archives,
> > > but owner never sees copy, nor any postings from this list (while shecking
> > > archives I realized the list was very active, but I was not seeing the
> > > posts being distributed).
> >
> > I assume you're subscribed, and your traffic turned on.  Just because
> > you're the list owner doesn't mean you get the list traffic.
>
> Yes, yes, etc. Allow me to reiterate: Everyone seems to be OK *except* the
> listowner.  I checked that I was still subbed and not being caught in a
> discard file.  Also recall, the other 3 lists do capture and forward the
> listowner.  It's just ONE list out of four doing this.

Thanks for clarifying, but it's still not clear.  Do you mean the
list-owner at domain.name address is subbed to the list, or the address to which
list-owner points is on the list?  Are you saying that email explicitly
addressed to list-owner at domain.name for the problem list doesn't make it
through to the referenced address(es), or just that _list traffic_ isn't
properly delivered to this address?

--
Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-mailman at fmp.com>
FMP Computer Services