[Mailman-Users] On Manageability (was: Re: Spam to list-owner)

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Fri Dec 19 17:46:18 CET 2008

Good Morning Everyone.

	I think I see something in this "debate" that may be lost on the
mailman listowners.  While you may have 14k++ users, they are well behaved
useers on a technical list.

	The listowner you are comparing notes with (and correctly
asserting to split the work to) is more likely to be someone like me,
playing the role of listowner for non-technical people who use mailman
like it was IRC.  Sadly, this is a not uncommon application for mailman,
and one where a few management tweaks would make this already fantastic
work even better.

	I, and I suspect the other listowner as well, get ton of implicit
address requests (members who bcc one item to every list they've ever
found, for every item that meets their fancy), over-size posting requests,
and non-member postings that should get let through (this last is already
dealt with).

	The ability to flag certain users as being able to ignore certain
rules would be a godsend: you would remove many hours a month of listowner
work.  Yes, I realize that the current design of mailman doesnt lend
itself well to this idea, and I am not holding my breath (I would never go
back to a majordomo or listserv format again anyway - there's no
comparison!).

All the very best, and thanks again for all of the great work the mailman
team has done on our behalf!

//Alif

--
Yours,
J.A. Terranson

"Never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public
plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to
the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing news, always
be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by
predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty."

Joseph Pulitzer
1907 Speech