[Mailman-Users] welcome message

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Dec 18 01:09:41 CET 2008

Henry Hartley wrote:
> Joe Damico wrote:
>>
>> We would like to make some slight modification to the Mailman
>> welcome message for new subscribers at our location.  Where is this
>> message located and if it is in Python code, how do we go about
>> changing the text?
>
> If you just want to change the first paragraph of that message, it's
> done through the regular web interface. On the General Options page,
> a  little more than half way down is an entry for "List-specific
> text  prepended to new-subscriber welcome message (Details for
> welcome_msg).

And if you want to do more than just prefix text to the stock welcome
message, you can do that too.  The welcome message template is stored
at ~mailman/templates/<language>/subscribeack.txt (where <language> is
a placeholder, e.g. ~mailman/templates/en/subscribeack.txt for
English).

You can customize this in several ways, depending on how much you want
the changes to affect.  Templates are searched in the following order:

    # 1. the list-specific language directory
    #    lists/<listname>/<language>
    #
    # 2. the domain-specific language directory
    #    templates/<list.host_name>/<language>
    #
    # 3. the site-wide language directory
    #    templates/site/<language>
    #
    # 4. the global default language directory
    #    templates/<language>

The first match is used.  So, if you only want to adjust the welcome
message for one list, use the first location above.  Just copy the
stock welcome message to the desired location and edit to to your
liking.

Optimist, n.: A proponent of the doctrine that black is white.