[Mailman-Users] Different IPs for each list?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 15 04:49:30 CET 2008

J.A. Terranson wrote:

>So, if I understand this correctly, mailman is completely unaware of it's
>own IP, even though it is aware of it's domain names?

That is correct. Mailman knows nothing about it's IP. It does know
something about domains *if* it's properly configured, but all it
really knows is host names to put in URLs and email addresses.

>I need listA to distribute on 1.2.3.4 and listB to distribute on 1.2.3.5.

Then you will have to tell the outgoing MTA that mail with an envelope
from listA-bounces.* is to be sent out via the adaptor/whatever whose
IP is 1.2.3.4 and mail with envelope from listB-bounces.* is to be
sent out via the adaptor/whatever whose IP is 1.2.3.5. If you can do
that, then you've done it. If you can't, Mailman can't help you unless
you're willing to modify Mailman so, for example, it connects to a
different SMTP host and/or port for each list.

>The reverse isnt really an issue, as once the mail gets to the MTA, it's
>effectively at mailman, but I'm trying to wrap my head around a solution
>for breaking up the outgoing mail onto separate IPs.  if I recall, mailman
>IS very much aware of its domain and addresses.  isnt this going to cause
>issues with rewriting virtualized envelopes?

If your solution causes the envelope sender to be rewritten from say
listA-bounces at lists.example.com to
listA-bounces at someother.example.com, even this would not be a problem
as long as listA-bounces at someother.example.com comes back to Mailman.
If it doesn't, then automated bounce processing won't work.

Mailman doesn't care about domains for mail. It relies on the incoming
MTA to properly pipe incoming mail to the mail wrapper. As long as
that happens, the domain it was addressed to doesn't matter.

The only place domains mean anything is in the web interface, and even
then, only if VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW is On.