[Mailman-Users] automatically remove uncaught bounces

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 12 22:36:22 CET 2008

Grant Taylor wrote:

>On 12/12/2008 03:00 AM, faisal anif wrote:
>> is there a way to let mailman unsubscribe the addresses of uncaught
>> spams automatically from my lists instead of sending it to me?
>
>Slightly off topic, but still related.
>
>I'm trying to think (and not having much luck at the moment) what SMTP
>envelope address Mailman sends messages from.  I believe the address is
>different than the address for the list (or -request type) but I'm not
>sure.  /If/ (and that's a kicker) the address *is* different, you might
>be able to do something like Sendmail's "Protected Recipients" tweak.
>In short P.R. only allows inbound messages to the ""protected recipient
>if the sender is on a allowed list.  The idea being that if Mailman is
>the only one that would be sending to the address that it's messages are
>sent from, you could restrict what message could come in to it if they
>were not sent by Mailman its self.

Mailman sends mail from LISTNAME-bounces at ...

DSNs are returned by foreign (in some cases) MTAs to that address. Spam
is also sent to that address. Since a valid DSN can come from
anywhere, your suggestion doesn't seem viable.

Note however, that a valid DSN should have a null envelope sender and
possibly only delivering mail to LISTNAME-bounces at ... if the envelope
sender is null might help, but the OP's issue was that some
unrecognized bounces were legitimate bounces, and since to be
unrecognized, they must be non-compliant in the first place, there's
no guarantee they would have a null envelope sender.