[Mailman-Users] Excessive bounces unsuscription

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 11 19:38:18 CET 2008

Ray wrote:

>We're having some trouble with a mail list in our server. The fact is that
>we've all received an e-mail telling us about excessive bounces, so we've
>been all unsuscribed. We have no idea about what could be, so i'm writting
>all of you to know if you've experienced something like this, and tell me
>what can i try to do :)

What are the bounce processing settings for this list. It seems like
you may have bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings set to 0 and
bounce_score_threshold set to <=1.0 so that members are unsubscribed
on the first bounce. Then if some glitch occurs in SMTP delivery
causing a bounce for all recipients, everyone is unsubscribed.

Setting bounce_score_threshold <=1.0 is only appropriate for lists
which receive very little traffic.

As to what actually happened, as Grant suggests, you need to look at
logs. See the MTA logs and Mailman's bounce and smtp-failure logs for
clues.

Also, if bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is set to Yes, the owner
notifications will contain more information about the disabling bounce.