[Mailman-Users] Subscribing other lists to a list.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Mon Dec 8 22:18:45 CET 2008

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>>
>> What I'd like to know if is possible within mailman is the following:
>>
>> a) A per-user flag that makes a user admin-control ONLY.  No auto-bounce
>> handling, no unsubscribe options, no password reminders...nothing.
>> Essentially, this would move the "umbrella" setting from a global to a
>> single address.  This would solve about half the problem (the headers
>> would still need to be fixed, mainly the to: header).
>

> No. This is not possible in current Mailman.
>
> You might want to look at the "sibling lists" feature in Mailman 2.1.10
> and up. You could add the -discuss list to the regular_include_lists
> attribute of the -announce list. This would send a copy of any
> -announce post to all the -announce members with delivery enabled plus
> any delivery enabled regular members of the -discuss list who were not
> regular members of the -announce list.
>
> The potential issues that I see are:
>
> A regular member of the -discuss list who is a digest member of the
> -announce list will receive the individual message and also receive it
> in the digest.

Typically, an announce-list is not digestable so this is not a worry.

> Digest members of the -discuss list will not receive the message unless
> they are also members of the -announce list.

I'd have to assume there's something internal that makes this necessary --
I'm curious as to how much tweaking it would take to fix (i.e. make it so
digest members receive the announcement, either in their digest or
separately).

-Dan