[Mailman-Users] Moving server and location

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 8 05:19:26 CET 2008

Marc Beyer wrote:

>http://newserver.url/mailman/admin say that there are no lists
>installed. What can I do to see these lists in the web interface? Also,
>shouldn't I be prompted for the old admin password at some point(where
>is that kept)?
>
>If there's any FAQ I've missed please be so kind as to point me to it,
>I've spent several hours scouring the online docs as well as the list
>archives but am still missing a solution.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9> for why the lists don't
appear on the overview pages. (You should be able to get to the list
at, e.g., http://newserver.url/mailman/listinfo/LISTNAME even though
it doesn't appear.)

What old admin password? The site password and list creator password
are set in the new installation via bin/mmsitepass or you can port the
old ones by moving data/adm.pw and/or data/creator.pw. Individual list
admin and moderator passwords are in the respective
lists/LISTNAME/config.pck files and moved with the lists.

Note that since it appears the web host has changed, you will have many
'more information about this list' URLs in the archives that point to
the old host. The easy way to fix that, assuming all the
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox files are good, is to
just run

 bin/arch --wipe

on all the lists.