[Mailman-Users] Problem with moving lists

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Dec 5 17:53:01 CET 2008

James Gallagher wrote:

> I moved a set of lists from one host & mailman installation to another
> host running Mailman 2.1.11rc2. I followed the advice in the FAQ
> regarding moving lists and it seemed to work OK but I notice two issues.
> First, messages to the lists are not being archived - I've checked the
> permissions on the .mbox files, et c., and they are the same as with new
> lists where archiving does work.

What are your ownership and permissions like?  What happens when you run
"~Mailman/bin/check_perms"?  Not all of the things in FAQ 4.78 (see
<http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>) are going to be relevant to your problem
here, but there are lots of good general debugging steps that are listed there.

>                                  One thing that shouldn't matter is that
> I ran configure before I copied the lists - I forget if that's the order
> used in the FAQ answer.

I'm not convinced that won't create a problem for you, but I'll leave that
question for Mark.

> The second question, and it might provide a clue regarding the first, is
> that I have the lists in question set to prefix the message subject
> with  the name of the list in brackets. Again, that works with the new
> lists but not with the moved lists.

That sounds like a configuration file that is not in the right place, and
that might potentially be caused by the "configure" not being done in the
correct place on the correct system.