[Mailman-Users] Newbie Question

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Aug 29 17:37:04 CEST 2008

Colin Robinson wrote:

> Hey guys, I'm looking to create some kind of online mailing list for my
> office. I am a self taught it person so my knowledge is some what
> limited. I am capable of learning some simple programs on my own
> (FrontPage, web expressions, Photoshop...) but really don't know the hard
> core stuff. That being said is this program the type of thing I would
> stand a chance at learning on my own knowing that I know nothing about
> Python?

You don't need to know how to program in order to use Mailman, regardless of
what languages you may or may not know.  If you want to make changes to the
way that Mailman works, you may need to know how to program in Python (or be
able to learn).

However, Barry Warsaw, Mark Sapiro, and Tokio Kikuchi (among many others)
have worked very hard to make Mailman a very full-featured program in this
space, so we would hope that there would be no need for most people to learn
to program in Python.

But if you want to learn how to program in Python, you could certainly
choose to take Mailman as a project on which to start learning.