[Mailman-Users] several questions.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 19 23:34:02 CEST 2008

Copying the list.

James - Dunn Deal PR wrote:
>> See the FAQ article at <http://wiki.list.org/x/3YA9> for
>> suggestions on setting up a "one-way" list. Post using an Approved:
>> header as discussed in that FAQ to avoid having authorized posts
>> held.
>

> I'm checking the http://wiki.list.org/x/3YA9 link you sent me. First
> of all, how do I find out if I'm running MailMan 2.0 or 2.1?

At the bottom of pages like
<http://lists.dunndealpr.com/mailman/listinfo> you will see "version 2.1.9"

> Regarding "3.11. How do I create a newsletter/announcement/one-way
> list?":
>
> - Will people be able to reply to an email I send with this function?
> I would like them to be able to, but only to be able to reply to the
> sender himself.

If you set the list settings first_strip_reply_to to No and
reply_goes_to_list to Poster, then an ordinary reply will go to the
original sender of the message.

There's no way you can control how the user addresses the reply, but if
the list members are moderated, you can control what happens when they
attempt to post to the list.

>is there a way to set this list up where I can just
> subscribe them as usual, instead of them having to visit a site and
> subscribe themselves and deal with confirmation emails and all that?

The list admin can always add members to the list. The problem is when
they complain to their ISP that you're spamming them, and their ISP
starts blocking your ISP and your ISP comes to you and says "why are you
spamming people?", you want evidence that the complainer actually wanted
to be on your list. Thus you want to keep the email or other document
that they sent you where they asked to be on the list. It's safer to
always 'invite' people to join the list. At least that way you can say
you only sent an invitation, they accepted it and there is a log entry
that says they were added by email confirmation.

>> It is not clear to me from the above where the post was received.
>> If it was received by the gmail address and not by the local server
>>  addresses, it's possible there's some issue relating to that, but
>> did these addresses receive their list welcome or other mail from
>> Mailman? If so, then Mailman can send to them and that isn't the
>> problem.
>
>> The address that sent the post will not receive it if 'not metoo'
>> is checked in the admin Membership List. Also, addresses which have
>>  'digest' checked will only receive digests, not messages (for an
>> announcement type list, you probably want Digest options ->
>> digestable set to No).
>

> I'm sorry if my language was a little confusing. The gmail account is
> the only email that DID receive the test message. The two that are
> housed on the same server as my MailMan did not. Just a minute ago, I
> deleted all the test email addresses from the databases to see if I
> would receive unsubscribe messages. As usual, only the gmail received
> one. Then I tried re-adding them, along with two other email
> addresses I have (one hotmail, one yahoo) to see who would receive
> subscribe emails. Well, out of the five emails total, only the
> hotmail, the yahoo and the gmail accounts have received subscribe
> emails. And although the gmail account did receive a subscribe email,
> it is not even listed in the list of members on the admin page. The
> only emails that appear are the new ones - the hotmail and yahoo
> accounts - while the ones that were initially entered, deleted and
> re-added are nowhere to be seen. Is it the case that once an email is
> unsubscribed, it cannot be re-subscribed?

See <http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>. You will need to look at Mailman's
logs (bounce, smtp and smtp-failure) and possibly the MTA logs to see
what's happening to this mail.

It appears that your MTA is unable to deliver mail from Mailman to local
users. The MTA's logs would probably be the best place to start looking
to find out why.

No. There is nothing that prevents an unsubscribed address from being
resubscribed. How are you subscribing these addresses. If via the Mass
Subscription page, it reports what it did.