[Mailman-Users] changing Mailman layout

Zbigniew Szalbot z.szalbot at lcwords.com
Mon Aug 18 19:10:50 CEST 2008

Mark Sapiro pisze:
> First of all, if you think you're saving anything by including a
> relative or absolute path as the href= value of the stylesheet link as
> opposed to a URL, you are not.
>
> If you have for example in your template that becomes
> <http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo/list>, something like
>
> <link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href="css/stylesheet.css">
>
> that gets sent to the browser just as is, and the browser considers
> that as relative to the base URL and does an HTTP GET of path
> /mailman/listinfo/css/stylesheet.css from www.example.com to get the
> style sheet. The two points are:
>
> - it is no different in terms of HTTP interaction from the case of
> putting an absolute URL in the href=, and
>
> - in this example at least, it doesn't work because the web server has
> a ScriptAlias for /mailman/ so the web server processes this request
> by invoking Mailman's listinfo cgi wrapper which isn't going to serve
> the stylesheet.
>
> You probably can specify a full directory path to the css, but the web
> server will still look for it relative to the servers document root,
> and it isn't really any different from specifying it as a URL.

All this is true and I well realize that. The example with css is
simple. No problem. I actually have a problem with a javascript file
that the layoput designer has used. I am suspecting it won't display
because I have to use a complete URL instead of a relative one as often
is a case with javascripts. Maybe the same principle applies. If anyone
knows, I'd be happy if you drop me a line!

Thanks!

Zbigniew Szalbot