[Mailman-Users] Syntax Error..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 16 03:56:21 CEST 2008

Khalil Abbas wrote:

>I'm installing mailman on a dedicated server with debian, when trying to integrate mailman with postfix by changing the mm_cfg.py and un-commenting the MTA line:
>
>#-------------------------------------------------------------# Uncomment if you use Postfix virtual domains, but be sure to# read /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.POSTFIX first. MTA='Postfix'
>
>it gives me the followng error when I try to do anything, for example creating a new list:

>Traceback (most recent call last):  File "./newlist", line 103, in ?    from Mailman import mm_cfg  File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py", line 94    MTA=Postfix    ^SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Do you see the difference between what you quote above and what's in
the traceback?

What you need in mm_cfg.py is

MTA = 'Postfix'

The spaces around the = are optional but the quotes are mandatory and
MTA must not be indented at all.

Also, I know that it's really hotmail that's at fault, but it would
help us if code and tracebacks weren't run together without line
breaks. Try composuing in plain text. (sorry for the rant, this
hotmail issue is a sore point with me)