[Mailman-Users] several questions.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 16 02:46:14 CEST 2008

Copying the list.

James - Dunn Deal PR wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:

>>Do you get any mail from Mailman. E.g., the notice to the list owner
>>that the list was created; welcome messages to new subscribers?
>
>Yes, I have been receiving all that information steadily.
>
>I am making some headway now. I went to the "Tend to pending moderator
>requests" and saw that my very first test message from August 8 had been
>held because the sender, ie me, was not a member of the group. So I
>added myself and the message made it - but only to one of the three
>email addresses in the list.
>
>I tried one again just now, then went to the 'moderator requests' page
>again, and saw that this one has been held because I have activated the
>setting that requires all messages to be moderated before sending. I did
>this because I don't want anyone but the owners of the three designated
>administrative email addresses to be able to send messages to the whole
>list. Is there any way I can set that up, but not have the messages that
>we send moderated?

See the FAQ article at <http://wiki.list.org/x/3YA9> for suggestions on
setting up a "one-way" list. Post using an Approved: header as
discussed in that FAQ to avoid having authorized posts held.

>Anyway, I clicked 'accept' and the email landed, but again, only to one
>of the three email addresses in the list. One is a gmail address, which
>receives the tests. The other is my administrative email for the site
>(james at dunndealpr.com) that I entered into the list after my first test
>message did not go through. The third is another email address I have
>set up. However, the two non-gmail email addresses both use the same
>server; the one that MailMan is stored on. Could that possibly be the
>reason those emails aren't receiving the messages I send to the mailing
>list?

Posts From: a gmail address will never be received back at that
address. See <http://wiki.list.org/x/2IA9>.

It is not clear to me from the above where the post was received. If it
was received by the gmail address and not by the local server
addresses, it's possible there's some issue relating to that, but did
these addresses receive their list welcome or other mail from Mailman?
If so, then Mailman can send to them and that isn't the problem.

The address that sent the post will not receive it if 'not metoo' is
checked in the admin Membership List. Also, addresses which have
'digest' checked will only receive digests, not messages (for an
announcement type list, you probably want Digest options -> digestable
set to No).