[Mailman-Users] Manually bouncing messages to a mailman list

Cristian Rigamonti cri at linux.it
Wed Aug 13 21:51:42 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 08:33:14AM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> >Let me clarify the scenario:
> >- Somebody sends me a message
> >- I think the message should really go to the list, not to me
> >- I bounce the message to the list (if the original sender is not subscribed to
> >  the list I expect to find it in the moderation queue)
>

> Maybe not. If you are a member and the envelope of the bounced message
> is from you, it will be considered a post from you.

I thought about that, so I tested both possibilities for the envelope sender of
the bounced message: envelope from me (yes, I am a member of the list) or
envelope from the sender of the original message (I tested both cases: member or
not-member of the list); in all tests the message disappears.

> >> There is a "Discarded message" entry in Mailman's vette log, but since
> >> you don't have access, you can't see it.
> >
> >Thanks, I'll ask the sysadmin to have a look at that.
>

> The message won't be too helpful in this situation. It just says
> 'Message discarded, msgid: ...', but if it is present, it will verify
> that the message reached Mailman and Mailman discarded it for some
> reason.

I got feedback from the sysadm: indeed the message is discarded by mailman:

  Aug 12 13:43:44 2008 (6025) Message discarded, msgid: <20080720101847.GA4783 at pegasus>

> I don't yet understand why Mailman would discard the message, but I am
> able to duplicate the problem, so I will investigate further tomorrow.

Thank you very much! Let me know if I can help you somehow (reminder: I'm using
mailman version 2.1.9)

Cri

--
GPG/PGP Key-Id 0x943A5F0E      -    http://www.linux.it/~cri/cri.asc