[Mailman-Users] changes at aol

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Aug 13 08:07:55 CEST 2008

On 8/12/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>  I think he was suggesting that Mailman could somehow put something like
>  a rot13 encoded version of the recipient's address into a personalized
>  list footer to sneak it past AOL's eliding of "screen names".

In the ARF reports, I don't think you're going to see copies of the
footers.  Not even copies of the message.  Just the headers, of which
all the useful information will be deleted by AOL.

Moreover, even if you did get copies of the footers (as you have in
the past, with the non-ARF reports), the people at AOL are smart
enough to see that there is non-anonymized information in the footers
and to fix that with the next update of the software.

So, either way, we're screwed.  AOL is determined to delete any and
all data that would actually be useful to us in our jobs, and they
are determined to file all these reports automatically.

So do what I do -- file them automatically, in a folder that you
never go look in.