[Mailman-Users] Sendmail performance

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 9 01:33:57 CEST 2008

Knabe, Troy wrote:

>So that works, but I am still seeing 7 minutes where the messages are staying in the sendmail queue. Sendmail is configured to re-run the queue every 5 minutes so the extra 2 is about right for how long it takes to go through the other messages in the queue first.  But why does the message hit the sendmail queue instead of being delivered directly?

See Brad's reply. Also ...

>Here is an output of mailq
>
>m78LJSTa027726      467 Fri Aug  8 14:19 <knabe at 4j.lane.edu>
>                     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post

This is an incoming message to be delivered to Mailman. The second copy
of sendmail you started was for delivery of outgoing Mail from
Mailman. It has nothing to do with this message.

However, the above does seem strange. Clearly sendmail has processed
this message to the point of seeing the alias and converting the
address to the pipe (I assume list name just got lost in the
copy/paste). I don't know why it didn't just deliver it at that point.