[Mailman-Users] compile problems with mailman-2.1.10/11

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Aug 7 16:40:07 CEST 2008

b-vol wrote:

>On Wednesday 06 August 2008 03:29:13 pm Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> I've seen this exact problem myself. In my case, I had python 2.4.3
>> installed in /usr and I installed python 2.5.1 from source in
>> /usr/local. I don't remember the details, but I played around with
>> symlinks and made some progress, but ultimately removed python 2.5.1
>> and reinstalled it in /usr and that solved the problem.
>>
>> This is not a Mailman problem, It is a Python installation problem. I
>> think if you just start an interactive Python and type 'import md5'
>> you'll see the same thing.
>>

>thanks for your help.
>
>I  have python installed in /usr.  I also symlinked /usr/lib/md5.py (et al)
>and /usr/lib/hashlib.py(et al) to /usr/local/lib and it made no difference.
>The problem is not the compilation but the installation.

During "make install" all the installed Mailman *.py files are compiled
to *.pyc byte code files. It is in this process that the error occurs.

>I notice just now
>that in the Makefile  the field DESTDIR is left blank.      Could this be
>what is causing the problems and  is so what could be a suitable fix?

No.

>suggestions welcomed

See below.

>On Wednesday 06 August 2008 03:29:13 pm Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> I've seen this exact problem myself. In my case, I had python 2.4.3
>> installed in /usr and I installed python 2.5.1 from source in
>> /usr/local. I don't remember the details, but I played around with
>> symlinks and made some progress, but ultimately removed python 2.5.1
>> and reinstalled it in /usr and that solved the problem.

I don't know what caused the error in my case, but I think it was not
installing 2.5.1 in /usr/local per se, but rather something to do with
leaving 2.4.3 installes and installing 2.5.1 along side in a different
path.

>> This is not a Mailman problem, It is a Python installation problem. I
>> think if you just start an interactive Python and type 'import md5'
>> you'll see the same thing.

Do the following

$python
>>> import md5

I am sure that will produce the same error, and should convince you
that the problem is with the python installation.

>> Try
>> <http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org+%22no+module+named+_md5%22>.

Do that search and look at the results. You may find some help there.
If not, do the search without the site limitation
<http://www.google.com/search?q=%22no+module+named+_md5%22>.