[Mailman-Users] Digest options -> list configuration

Alan.Rubin at nt.gov.au Alan.Rubin at nt.gov.au
Wed Aug 6 04:11:22 CEST 2008

Mark,

Thanks for your answer.  It is very enlightening.

This is a bit of a tangent, but also has to do with 'interpretation' of
Mailman's configuration.  If you read/work with the list configuration from the
command line, using ~mailman/bin/config_list,  you will see many descriptions
that say something such as:

      # legal values are:
      #    0 = "No"
      #    1 = "Yes"

But then the current/default value will be listed as True or False, literally.
Which is it?  Are both 0/False and 1/True acceptable?

Regards,

Alan Rubin
Technician Unix
DCS Midrange Services
Phone: +61 (08) 8999 6814
Fax:      +61 (08) 8999 7493
e-Mail: alan.rubin at nt.gov.au

             Mark Sapiro
             <mark at msapiro.net>
             06/08/2008 11:15 AM         Alan.Rubin at nt.gov.au,
                                         mailman-users at python.org
                                                                             cc

                                                                        Subject
                                         Re: [Mailman-Users] Digest options

Alan.Rubin at nt.gov.au wrote:

>We are using Mailman 2.1.10.  For digests, how would I set which day of the
>week, month, year, etc. that a digest is sent out?  For example, if I choose
>Weekly digest, how do I set it to send with the week starting on Wednesday?  Or
>if monthly, how do I choose the 15th?  The options listed in the GUI aren't
very
>specific.  What are the defaults?

You misunderstand what those settings are for. They have nothing to do
with when digests are sent. Wach digest has a volume number and an
issue number. The issue number increments with each digest. The
digest_volume_frequency setting controls how often the issue number
resets to 1 and the volume number increments instead.

The things that control when digests are sent are first of all,
digest_size_threshhold. When the size of the mailbox file holding the
messages accummulated for the digest reaches that size, a digest will
be produced immediately regardless of when that is. The digest itself
may be a little smaller (or bigger if the triggering post was large)
due to removal of some headers and scrubbing of attachments.

In addition, if digest_send_periodic is set to Yes, the periodic
cron/senddigests will send a digest when it runs if there are any
messages for the digest at that time. Mailman's default crontab runs
cron/senddigests daily at noon local time.

>Is there a way to setup a digest list that
>does not send out ANY digests automatically but can be
>generated/started/kicked-off through a cron job?

That is effectively what happens if you set digest_size_threshhold
large enough so that you never trigger a digest on size before
cron/senddigests runs.