[Mailman-Users] Question re: lists in 'accept_these_nonmembers'

Simon tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sat Aug 2 22:32:14 CEST 2008

Ok, second question...

Since I just upgraded to 2.1.11, I'd like to streamline things a little
and make use of the ability to add lists to the
'accept_these_nonmembers' filter.

My question basically is, what happens if I add a list in the
'accept_these_nonmembers' list, but that list contains another list as
well as individual subscribers?

 From what I can tell, it *looks* like it won't hurt anything, but the
members of that nested lists will still have to added individually in
order to be accepted. Is this right?

Hmmm.. that sounded a little twisted... here's a semi-graphical explanation:

Currently, this site uses nested lists, like so (I *will* be changing
the current nested list structure to use the new 'Umbrella' structure,
but I still want an answer to this question):

Lists:
accounting
administration
everyone
sales
teamleaders
  etc...

teamleaders list members:
  user1 at example.com
  user2 at example.com

sales list members:
  user3 at example.com
  user4 at example.com
  teamleaders at example.com
  etc...

everyone list members:
  accounting at example.com
  administration at example.com
  sales at example.com
  etc...

Now, currently, each list has the individual (user1 at example.com, etc)
users that aren't actual members added in the 'accept_these_nonmembers'
filter.

Now, if I add @sales to 'accept_these_nonmembers' for the everyone list
and remove all of the individual @sales members, then user3 and user4
will be able to send to everyone, but user3 and user4 will not, even
though they are members of teamleaders and teamleaders at example.com is a
member of sales, I would have to also add @teamleaders to allow user1
and user2 to be able to send to everyone - correct?

My main concern is that having a nested list inside a list that is added
to the 'accept_these_nonmembers' field of another list won't *break*
anything, especially in some way that is not readily apparent...

If you read through this convoluted question, then you have more
patience than I do... ;)

Tia,

Simon