[Mailman-Users] Incorrect Hostname Appearing in mailto address

Lynn, Michael (A&E) michael_lynn at ml.com
Mon Apr 28 18:11:21 CEST 2008

This may be an issue I need to post to a sendmail list... but I'll start
here.

I have configured mailman and everything is up and working
fantastically... with one issue:

Mails sent to the list appear with the wrong hostname in the TO: field
of the email.

Let's call the host's primary DNS entry "uglyhostname" and we'll call
the desired hostname alias for mailman "lists".

A user can send mail to "lists.internal.domain.com" and it gets to the
host and is processed properly by the aliases and mailman and delivered
to the list.   However, users viewing the message see:

To: listname at uglyhostname.location.domain.com

I have sendmail configured to masquerade as follows:
DMlists.internal.domain.com

And I've even changed the hostname on the server using
/etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME=lists.internal.domain.com

Here's a snip from my mm_cfg:
--8<--
DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'lists.internal.domain.com'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.internal.domain.com'

# Because we've overriden the virtual hosts above add_virtualhost
# MUST be called after they have been defined.
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
-->8--

Any ideas on how I can ensure that uglyhostname is not included in my
lists mails?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Mike

This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This message is subject to terms available at the following link: http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merrill Lynch you consent to the foregoing.