[Mailman-Users] Handling Attachments and More

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Mon Apr 28 05:47:00 CEST 2008

I have a Sun Cobalt RAQ550 with Mailman 2.1.8 installed, and running
about 120 lists.  We were having problems with the setup handling
multi-part messages that contained text and html -- some mail
programs reproduced stuff twice etc.  Also we need to pass attachments.

On the advice of someone I made some changes, content filtering
settings below, and while the multi-part thing is a little better, it
only passes text attachments.  Need to pass .doc etc.

I am obviously not an expert in this stuff, or I wouldn't be
bothering all of you.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Should Mailman filter the content of list traffic according to the
settings below?
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_content>
(Edit
filter_content<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_content>)
No Yes
Remove message attachments that have a matching content type.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_mime_types>
(Details for
filter_mime_types<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_mime_types>)
text/html
Remove message attachments that don't have a matching content type.
Leave this field blank to skip this filter test.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_mime_types>
(Details for
pass_mime_types<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_mime_types>)
multipart/alternative message/rfc822 text/plain
Remove message attachments that have a matching filename extension.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_filename_extensions>
(Edit
filter_filename_extensions<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_filename_extensions>)
exe bat cmd com pif scr vbs cpl
Remove message attachments that don't have a matching filename
extension. Leave this field blank to skip this filter test.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_filename_extensions>
(Edit
pass_filename_extensions<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/pass_filename_extensions>)
Should Mailman collapse multipart/alternative to its first part
content?
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/collapse_alternatives>
(Edit
collapse_alternatives<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/collapse_alternatives>)
No Yes
Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text? This conversion
happens after MIME attachments have been stripped.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/convert_html_to_plaintext>
(Edit
convert_html_to_plaintext<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/convert_html_to_plaintext>)
No Yes
Action to take when a message matches the content filtering rules.
<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_action>
(Details for
filter_action<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/admin/nfb-talk/?VARHELP=contentfilter/filter_action>)
Discard Reject Forward to List Owner Preserve