[Mailman-Users] checksums

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 25 17:45:28 CEST 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Melinda Gilmore wrote:
>
>>I trying to find out if mailman uses the md5 checksum or this has to be set
>>up with the installation.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  I
>>have not been able to find it so far.
>

>I'm not sure what you're asking, ...

It occurs to me that what you are asking is if Mailman stores passwords
in encrypted form.

The answer is yes (but using sha, not md5) for site, list creator, list
admin and list moderator passwords.

The answer is no for list member passwords in current Mailman, but this
will change in Mailman 3.0.

It would be complicated to change Mailman 2.1 to encrypt list member
passwords because the periodic and on-demand password reminder would
have to be replaced with an on-demand password reset or something
similar.