[Mailman-Users] Multipart messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 23 01:59:02 CEST 2008

Carlos Corredor wrote:

>What I would like to do is send messages that will be read and displayed as
>HTML when the recipient's mail client is set up to receive HTML messages, or
>be read and displayed as text messages when not.

What you want to send and have Mailman pass is a multipart/alternative
message with a text/plain part and a text/html part.

To set Mailman's content filtering to accept and deliver this, you need
at least

multipart/alternative
text/plain part
text/html

in pass_mime_types, and you need to set collapse_alternatives to No and
convert_html_to_plaintext to No.

>But I also need to find out how to create such messages. I could not find a
>tutorial on how to do this.

This depends on your MUA. You appear to be using "Microsoft Office
Outlook 11". I really have no idea how to configure MS Outlook, but as
a guess, there is certainly some setting to compose a message as HTML,
and it is likely that if you compose an HTML message, it will be sent
as multipart/alternative.