[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.10rc1 has been released

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Apr 17 06:15:32 CEST 2008

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > There is some validity to the complaint that new releases are blocked
 > on translation updates.  Our translators do a wonderful, and greatly
 > appreciated job, but they're disadvantaged by our suboptimal
 > translation process.

Fixing that won't help security releases, though.  I don't recall
anybody waiting on translations for the Apache traversal bug.

 > I think we also need to find a better way to package non-English
 > language support so that updates to languages can happen on their
 > own schedule without requiring or blocking the core Mailman
 > releases.

How do you propose to do that, except by releasing English-only
versions first?

I don't know the details of Python's implementation, but the gettext C
library is already pretty close to optimal on this, isn't it?  You
just drop a random .mo file into the right place, and gettext will use
the translation it finds if there's one there, and otherwise spew the
original string.

So all you really need is a utility to uninstall (and optionally back
up) the old language file and install the new one in the right place.