[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.10rc1 has been released

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Apr 16 03:44:34 CEST 2008

Quoting Jim Popovitch <yahoo at jimpop.com>:

> Fair enough.  Where's the release then?

Dragon is right -- the code is up-to-date and waiting for translation,
as do pretty much all RCs released by this project.

> Look, I know you folks are working hard on this, and I certainly don't
> dis-respect that.

Actions speak louder than words, and your actions in this case tell me
that you most definitely *do* dis-respect us.

Feel free to act in some other manner that proves me wrong.

>                    HOWEVER, the process flow needs some re-thinking.
> You should not publicly release security vulnerability details before
> fixes are identified for current versions.   I can't imagine that you
> don't already know that.

I don't care what you think.  You don't run this project.  We have to
support a wide variety of languages, and we can't just release an
English-only version when we think it's ready.

The best we can do is to put out an RC and tell people what the
reasons are for wanting to upgrade to this code, so long as they know
it's only going to be available in limited numbers of languages.
Others can wait for the updated versions that support their language
of choice.

Each person installing or running Mailman gets to make their own
choice as to when they're going to pull that trigger.  The security
notices are out there, there is an RC available which addresses them.
If you feel the burning need to have the latest and greatest code
which avoids the more recent security issues, then go and install the
RC.

But unless you're putting up the money to run this entire project out
of your own personal pocket, I'm tired of listening to you bitch at us
for not following your rules regarding how a release should be done.