[Mailman-Users] Attachments and blank messages

Sciamano sciamano72 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 17:15:37 CEST 2008

On 4/12/08, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> This seems like a problem with the MUAs (mail clients) reading the
>  message rather than the message.

That might be the issue, since I can read the messages correctly using KMail.

> Set your content filtering as follows to do what you say you want.

<snip>

>  convert_html_to_plaintext doesn't matter because no HTML will get there

But won't this affect the Excite user?

>  The above will remove everything which is not a text/plain part from
>  the delivered messages.

That's what I'm worried about, considering the fact that Excite
appends HTML automatically to outgoing messages. Won't this make all
messages from the Excite user be rejected?

>  If you want to allow HTML that isn't in a multipart/alternative part
>  and convert it to plain text with lynx or whatever is set in mm_cfg.py
>  as HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND, then add text/html to pass_mime_types
>  and set convert_html_to_plaintext to Yes.

I don't know how to do this. I have access to Mailman through a cPanel
hosting account, I have no direct access to the server and its
configuration files.

>  If the above suggestions do not resolve the problem, we need to see a
>  sample of each message (one 'office' and one 'excite'). The samples
>  can be edited for privacy, but they need to be raw messages as sent by
>  the user (not necessarily to the list) with the MIME structure and
>  headers intact. I.e., they need to be messages as sent by the users,
>  not as delivered by the list.

Ok, I've set up the list as per your suggestions.
I will keep you posted whether the problems have been solved this way.
If not, I'll try to forward the original messages.
Thanks for your help so far.

Luca